Thursday, February 26, 2009

Obama Lifts 18 Year Old Ban

On one hand, I support freedom of speech. On the other hand, I support the right to privacy in the face of a personal tragedy or loss.

That said, lifting the 18-year ban on allowing press photos of the war dead without permission from the families of the dead soldier is wrong.

Who would want a picture of their son or daughter, husband or wife, father or mother's coffin in the news without their express consent?

I know how I would feel if in the middle of heartbreaking grief, people in politics and the media used a picture of my child's coffin to further an agenda I do not agree with. I know exactly how I'd feel about that.

Privacy should be respected for families who want it and a separate ceremony area be created for those who wish to allow the media to film their dead's homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment